Tuesday, October 09, 2012

An Engineer's Guide To The Galaxy

The other day, I was wondering about escape velocities from earth.  I decided to poke around on the Internet, as I was sure somebody had gone before me.  After reading a few articles, I stumbled across this insightful article.  Interesting, I thought that it seems like a black hole must have an extremely dense amount of matter, something on the order of 2E19 kg/m^3. 

After noodling around about the density of neutron stars, or pulsars, I took it to the other extreme and wondered whether the density of a black hole was more or less than a proton?  That is when I found this article, and shockingly learned that the density of a proton is about the same as that required to form a black hole, 4E19 kg/m^3.

So, I hypothesize that a black hole must be nothing but a bunch of mushed together protons (or neutrons).

Next I wonder about whether the gravitational force attracting together protons and neutrons in an alpha particle is great enough when they are touching to overcome the repulsive Coulomb force of the protons? 

Stay tuned.