Wednesday, July 18, 2007

How To Convert Video for Sansa Media Players

When I got my Sansa e260 Media Player, I promptly threw away the CD-ROM that came with it. I figured it was compatible with XP, so why do I need the CD? Turns out, if you want to watch videos, you have to use the Sansa Media Converter to convert them.

I've been waiting for a copy to arrive in the mail from Sansa, but it never came. In the meantime, I figured out how to convert videos myself, which I will share with you.

1. Download MPEG Streamclip.
2. Run it, and open the video file you wish to convert.
3. Make sure Sansa USB Mode is MSC. Plug in your Sansa.
4. Choose File, Export to Quicktime.
5. Pick the following options (see below picture):
a. Compression: Apple Motion JPEG B
b. Quality: 0% (or something less than 50% for sure)
c. Frame Size: Other 160 x 208
d. Frame Rate: 15
e. Rotation: 90 CW
f. Zoom: 75%
g. Cropping: checked; Top 0, Left 35, Bottom 0, Right 35
h. Scale: checked
























6. Click Make Movie, and save to your Sansa VIDEO directory.
7. Disconnect Sansa and enjoy.