Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I Have A Dream

Maybe I'm suffering from a mid-life crisis -- I have at least a few things left to do before I die.

First, I want to be around when my daughter walks down my staircase with the spiral, wooden banister, in her wedding dress. Jawbitch cries for far less, but when that happens, I will cry a river.

Then, I want to drop my son off at college. Some place really good that I didn't get a chance to go to, like MIT or Harvard. When that happens, I'm selling all my shit on eBay, throwing the rest out, disposing of my real estate and buying a Winnebago or some equivalent RV, throw Jawbitch in the back, and we'll drive the country for at least two years, like Cain in Kung Fu.

Finally, I want to make it to the final table of a major Texas hold'em poker tournament. A tournament that's televised, so that everyone can see my big-assed, shit-eating grin.

Maybe I'm drunk, but I really believe that I can do all these things. I must get disciplined in order to do it. I got the finances on track. A mere twelve more years of work and I'm there financially.

I just need to acquire the skills for the poker goal. I'm reading as many books on the subject as I can. I know that, with my family and career, I will have very few opportunities to chase such a target.

Does my dream seem much more reasonable than attempting to solve some theorem on prime numbers, crack the security in a computer system, or become the founder of a large multi-national corporation? Is it not as far-fetched as practicing as an attorney in a large Manhattan firm and running a Tae Kwon Do school on the side? Is it not as unlikely as being in command of more nuclear weapons than every other country in the world besides the U.S. and the U.S.S.R? Is it not as ambitious as buying a new home while attending law school, working, and having a new child, all at the same time? Is it not as philanthropic as circumnavigating Long Island on a windsurfer for charity?

I've done some of these things. I can do this. I see a man without a problem. I need to do it.