Sunday, February 13, 2005

Little Churchills

Express Disclaimer: The links to other content provided anywhere in this blog are nowhere close to the actual political views, beliefs, or socialeconomic or sexual practices of the blogger. I merely provide them to stimulate thoughts and provoke discussion. If you want to know what I think or do, just read what I write, or if you still don't get it, or want something further, just ask me.

I just heard about this controversy Friday during a CLE lecture. Apparently, there's this professor at the University of Colorado, Ward Churchill, who many think should be fired for his insensitive and offensive comments about the victims of the World Trade Center. Now, I'm somewhat to the right of center when it comes to most matters, but when you're talking about censorship, freedom of speech, and other things pertaining to the First Amendment, I'm way left. No way should they fire him for what he said, tenure or not. I'm often kept in the dark and fed bullshit, but there was a lot of activity concerning this guy. But I'd really wonder how he would feel if one of the victims was a close relative of his?

I believe the best way to fight offensive speech is with more speech, period. I'm curious what others think, and if you got a link to something good, please post it with your comments.