Thursday, May 19, 2005

Prone Position

I pay $90/month to lease a parking space in a private lot adjacent to the train tracks. Doesn't the motivation to enforce a right of exclusivity seem proportional to the amount paid for the right?

As I was walking to my car last night, I found a woman lying face-down behind the shrubbery in my lot. Another patron, armed with a cell phone ready to dial 911, was standing near her. The woman was wearing a sweatshirt, sneakers, and stained jeans. Between her crossed arms, her shoulder-length hair, and the ground, her face was completely covered. My initial impression was that she chose an odd place to take a nap, but because of the patron's concerned puss, I knelt down next to her and took action.

G-man: Are you alright? Do you need help?
Woman, turning head slightly: Uhh, yes, ummm, no.
G-man: Would you like me to call an ambulance or something?
Woman, slurred: Ummm, no, I don't think so.
G-man, to the growing patron gaggle: She doesn't want any help.

Suddenly, I flashed back to torts, remembering that since she wasn't kin, I had no duty to help her. So I got up, walked to my car, and drove home. She seemed like a drunken fool who was passed out, soiled herself, and just didn't have the wherewithall to get up and leave. I'm fairly certain patron #1 called the police. But I sort of felt bad leaving her crashed there, especially without asking her to chip in for rent money.